kwin vs kwinactive

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Oct 29 20:11:32 UTC 2012

On Monday 29 October 2012 20:54:49 Marco Martin wrote:
> hi all,
> i seen that when kwin is built as "kwinactive" executable it takes its
> config from kwinactiverc, but the rules are still taken from kwinrulesrc,
> shouldn't it be kwinactiverulesrc as well? (to have different sets, ie one
> would want the fullscreen prevention only on kwinactive)
we currently do not ship any rules for active and given that the kcm is not
compiled for kwinactive, I am not sure whether it is needed.

> also grepping for uses of hardcoded "kwinrc" in kwin files still seem to
> give some hits.
I hope it is only in:
* kcmkwin
* effects (kconfigxt files)

Both should be fine, given that kwinactive does not come with the
configuration modules. So it would only matter for the (uncommon) usecase that
a user installs Plasma Active on a desktop system.

Changing the effects' kconfigxt should not be really difficult, if they should
be configurable.

> i can try to make a patch if everybody agrees that the file
> kwinactiverulesrc should be used in that case.
> what is the best way to proceed?
/me is not sure whether it's needed...

Cheers
Martin