"Big picture" design one release cycle ahead?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Oct 27 19:58:38 UTC 2012

On Saturday 27 October 2012 18:37:56 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:55:37 Björn Balazs wrote:
> > We would probably need dot releases after each sprint (and hence have
> > a shippable product after each sprint)
>
> doing a proper release after each sprint will kill our productivity due to
> the amount of developer manpower we have available to us. thankfully,
> releases should not be necessary as people can simply update their tablet
> in-situ using zypper. so we can simply refresh the build repos on OBS so
> those who are participating with us can follow development.

Agreed. We won't need proper releases with all the fuzz. That's the big plus
of having an always releasable master: When we work with users, we can just
ask them to zypper up from master without risking the loss of data / cats /
hamsters / grandmas.

> > and we would need to implement
> > some way of talking to the users (best would probably be directly
> > through the product).
>
> do you have a concrete concept of what this might look like?

>From my perspective, ideally we'd have a group of users interested in
participation (but not necessarily programming) who we interview and do
usability tests and surveys with etc.