"Big picture" design one release cycle ahead?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Oct 26 11:21:49 UTC 2012

Hey folks,
I have a suggestion:
I fully support Aaron's idea of small concentrated effort sprints with
integrated design and development, which comes pretty close to agile development.
However, product managers in the industry have found that such short design
cycles do not work well for all kinds of design. They work well for small
features/improvements, but for introducing larger changes or completely new
concepts, longer research/strategy/design phases work better.
One of these big changes for me is fleshing out the general concept of
task-driven design for PA. Since the big picture won't be implemented in PA4
anyway (we already got our hands full with small improvements/polish), I think
it would make sense to use this release cycle to work design-wise on the big
picture of a task-driven system parallel to designing the detailed improvements
for PA4 in each focus sprint.
The big disadvantage is of course that design capacity is split between the two,
but i think this is pretty much unavoidable since designing for a new metaphor
requires more then just a few weeks and we probably don't want to have a full
release without any actual development. In case of insufficient design capacity
for both, the focus sprints would always have higher priority, of course.
The biggest advantage to me is that ideally we have a broad concept for
task-driven design ready by the end of the PA4 cycle and can implement the
details for PA5 if we wish to do so.
So what do you guys think? Is the path to task-driven design worth putting some
effort into it ahead of time?

Cheers,
Thomas