sum up of yesterday IRC meeting

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 08:47:34 UTC 2012

On Friday 26 October 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > (when i ask "why?" i mean: what is the user benefit)
>
> I'm asking myself what the benefit of that would be as well. Sure some
> users prefer one animation slightly over the other, but I don't see that
> as idiosyncratic enough to warrant a config option, to be honest. Going
> with an animation that most users like and nobody absolutely hates should
> be enough here.

it may be actually instead an use case for another app.
ie i would like to encourage the default apps to be as barebone as possible,
and this leads to choices, ie going for an animation style and be set with it
and aavoid settings, especially when they don't bring a real new feature but
just slightly different behaviors.

But at the same time not discourage too much attempts of doing fancier stuff
(yes i know maintaining a tight control like that on ui guidelines can seem
very restrictive for many), and the addons store is a good solution for that.

if the okular qml components are shared and developed in common, the
duplication would be just on the ui bits

> One upside of offering two readers, however, is to test if file association
> works smoothly with Add Ons, i.e. if a user installs the alternative
> reader, PDFs and ebooks should always be opened in that one and if she
> uninstalls it again, everything should be opened with the default reader
> again.

the desktop files of the apps can have a priority defined in, so if we care
that the default ones have a certain one (or no more than a certain one)
the ones that come in addons can have a bigger defined one, so they win if
they get installed, and of course removing them the default one gets back

(we could even avoid to have a "preferred apps" ui at least for a long while
this way)