sum up of yesterday IRC meeting

Bogdan Cristea cristeab at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 18:00:08 UTC 2012

On Thursday 25 October 2012 11:55:57 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> those i thnk are the most important points discussed (Thomas should come
> with a bit more complete notes):
>
> * release cycle and development cycle beocome two distinct things
> * start with always releasable: no crap in master, feature branches, first
> they will go in integration branch, then the integrator (aaron?) will give
> green flag for merging in master
> * there will be continuous integration that keeps the integration branch up
> to date and pushes on obs
> * releases synced with SC (or a bit after?)
> * there will still be freeze a month before release, alongside a beta image
>
> * feature development: pa4 will be mostly fixes/finishes to current stuff:
> other people are welcome to work on new applications, the current team
> however won't
>
> * keyboard: it has some bugs fixable with the current qml plugin
> architecture, for some architectural limitations we'll have to wait maliit
> 1.0, that will be qt5 only (fixable: resizing, input blocking, some new
> keys) (non fixable: hints on what keys to have, autocompletition, layout
> switching is maybe fixable, probably not)
>
> * Files: needs some extra features, like file rename, file delete and tag
> delete
> * doesn't work that well as books browser, especially if periodicals will be
> supported
> * The delegates mechanism is a bit heavy and clunky
> * The metadata models should be hopefully redesigned a bit and go into
> nepomuk-core
>
> * Addons app: ui just minor bugs, needs more importers, integration with rpm
> repos. tasks: http://community.kde.org/Bodega
>
> * Cloud integration: ui for owncloud and mirall is in progress
> * will be installed from the addons app, possibly as different options with
> online services pre-configured
>
> * things specific about calligra or possible mediacenter integration weren't
> discussed
>
> complete raw log:
> http://www.notmart.org/misc/active-irc-meeting-2012-10-24.txt
>
> please point out if i forgot something
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

   I haven't been able to attend this meeting, for some reason I have not
received the announce for the meeting date.
  My interest is related also to the e-book reader and I have the following
propositions:
- use several page animations
- implement an options page to allow, among other things, the selection of the
page animation
- okular active might need some internal rework in order to use okular core
library as backend and separate completely the frontend implemented in QML.
- I have not yet tested okular, a must have feature should be the ability to
open at star the previously opened document at the last read page. Please
confirm if this feature already exists

   Not sure how well works the app store, hopefully I will put there soon my
own version of the e-book reader

In order to encourage the application development, I think that a tutorial
explaining how to setup a development environment for AP would be very useful
(everything compiled from sources, not some kind of distribution having
already installed the binaries). Maybe a building system written in python,
similar to emerge used by kde for windows team. Also, this might help a lot
with the tests.

regards
--
Bogdan