release

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Oct 5 21:57:39 UTC 2012

On Friday 05 October 2012 08:38:40 Carl Symons wrote:
> > * new apps -> reader, file browser, ?

+1 Yes, both of them, and as Marco said definitely Add Ons (users expect that
nowadays and the free books are awesome!)

> Performance and stability

+1. Even when run live from a thumb drive, it feels a lot smoother than PA2
did when installed on disk, the improvement is really noticeable.

I'd also vote for the Mer base as a bonus. The most visible outcomes for me
from this are
- Network Manager (works a whole lot better with KDE than connman)
- Higher resolution

> Freedom and power to the people B^)
>
> It's important to have the announcements and website reflect the
> release accurately (insert Thomas Pfeiffer's comments here). When I
> talk about Plasma Active to outsiders, it's a strong message that
> we're not competing with the big boys, but rather creating a high
> quality alternative to the oligopoly products. Features that are
> driven by user requirements. In short, Plasma Active is thoughtful.
>
> So things like changing "Store" to "Add Ons" in the Launcher is a
> minor, minor detail to us, but could make a difference with the
> intended audience.
>
> I don't have any examples to add to what Thomas has already written.
> Those are in a few different places so maybe they need to be
> consolidated if no one has implemented his earlier suggestions (e.g.
> Calligra is not a viable office suite).

I'm glad you're with me on this :)

Currently the discrepancies between the marketing text (i.e. the web page and
announcement text) and reality which I noticed are:
- The website mentions some Microblogging application which I have not found
anywhere on the Mer RC image. What application is meant there?
- Calligra Active is marketed like a full-fledged office suite, while in fact it
is a (very good) office document viewer

Thomas