release

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 15:51:19 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Jason H <scorp1us at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'd like to chime in here, though I am fully out-of-order.

Not a problem. KDE has many people who are fully out of order.

> As a KDE user, I am not sure where "Active Plasma" fits. I was introduced to it via Spark/Vivaldi. However it's over 6 months over due. I picked up a ICS tablet of the same specs (LAVA tech 10" Mali-400GPU, etc) for $150. So I thought it was a tablet-ized version of KDE, to compete with Android on tablets. However I have significant usability concerns based off screenshots alone) which makes me think I don't understand the purpose of Active Plasma.
>
> Also, where the heck is Vivaldi? I'd like to D/L the s/w and put it on my tablet and give it a shot since the specs line up so much.

Plasma Active is more complicated than loading a Linux distro on a
standard laptop, which works pretty well these days. It helps to have
some understanding and history of the project's intentions.

Here is a cut&paste from a recent email to the local LUG...
"It is a project that involves people from KDE Plasma Workspaces and
leaders from the Mer Project (merproject.org). Traditionally, these
people have developed software for people to use on a variety of PCs.
Unfortunately the mobile device market is not now and probably will
never be as open as the PC market. More on Plasma Workspaces for
mobile devices at plasma-active.org.

"Some of the people working on Plasma Active decided to put together
the whole package. It started as "Spark" and was renamed "Vivaldi".
For a sense of what Vivaldi is about, please visit
aseigo.blogspot.com. There is a post "make" from Wednesday, January
25, 2012. That was followed by posts "play", "live" and "the reveal"
that speak to the background and motivations of the Vivaldi tablet.
Aaron Seigo (aseigo) is a long time KDE contributor and leader.
You may also be interested in Aaron's presentation at Akademy 2012 (the
annual KDE international get together) at akademy.kde.org > Program."

These references should go a long way towards answering your questions.

Carl