Plasma Active application names

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Oct 2 10:52:03 UTC 2012

On 02.10.2012 12:19, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>> It's called Okular Active (although the name is intentionally not
>> user-visible anywhere).
>
> i think the Document Viewer is Calligra, actually .. Okular is our eBook
> reader. but yes, i'd prefer to keep those names out of the marketing and
> application listings for a variety of reasons. hopefully the distinction
> between Books and Documents is clear enough for people ... though we hide that
> detail nicely by replacing the "launch the application, open the resource"
> workflow with "find the resource, open the resource"

The executable of Okular Active is currently called "active-documentviewer",
that's why I assume Ivan meant that one. This is what I mean by "Even we confuse
the applications" ;)
Yes, hiding the application as such is definitely the way to go, but there may
still be occasions where we will have to use the name in communication, and then
we should still use it consistently.
I guess we should hide "Images" from the launcher as well, and probably even
"Books", as well as Calligra Active (since its main screen is pretty badly
designed anyway).

>> I'm okay with it being called "Files" for now, but it should be called that
>> _everywhere_ then (in the Launcher, in the window title, in crash reports
>> etc.).
>
> +1 for Files consistently across the board.

>>> "addons store"
>>
>> The window title and the title for the kwallet dialog was still "Add Ons
>> App" last time I checked. In the Launcher it's currently called "Store".
>
> i'd prefer "App" over "Store" as it's a lot more value-neutral. if we could
> drop 'App' altogether and just call it "Add Ons" that'd be great, but it
> doesn't seem meaningful enough to communicate the purpose of it to people
> without "Apps" (or "Store" or something like it) attached.

Hmm... Well, the "App" in "Add Ons App" doesn't refer to the content available
inside the "store" anyway, so I guess that can be dropped (since it's in the
launcher, people know it's an application anyway).
Therefore I'd vote for either really just "Add Ons" - or rather "Add-Ons", as
that's the more common spelling I guess - or "Add-Ons Store". Just "Store"
sounds too much like a thing where you can buy anything to me, like an interface
to Amazon or something.