Tab bar in Files - why a new widget?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 12 10:00:14 UTC 2012

On Monday, November 12, 2012 10:09:45 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> It reduces consistency. If we don't like the other representation
> too much, we should improve that one, but not introduce another
> representation for the same function.

it isn't actually a new component, it's the button group component. however,
it is being used as a stacked content switcher / tab bar in this context.

why:

* it benefits from a strong visual attachment cue between it and the content
below, due to other elements in the window being possible association targets.

* keeping it in the toolbar gives more room for the content being shown while
also increasing opportunities for visual alignment within the window.

the existing toolbar component does not lend itself well to this kind of usage
as it is a "floating" tab bar representation. in the "add to activity" page,
there is only the paged content and there is no horizontal division between
the content below and the tab bar above on which anchor a button group as in
Files.

the same is true in active-documentviewer: no competing content, no strong
visual anchor points.

how to harmonize these usages is a good question.