Tab bar in Files - why a new widget?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Nov 12 09:09:45 UTC 2012

Hi,
looking at the new tab bar in Files, I asked myself: "Why do we need another tab
representation when we already have one that works well?"
What I'm talking about is the tab-bar-like widget currently used in the Add
Items dialog, in the About app and in Okular Active. It doesn't look like tabs,
but it serves the exact same purpose: Choosing between different sets of content
for a window. That's also what the tab bar in Files does. I don't see why we
should use a different representation for the same thing in Files. It reduces
consistency. If we don't like the other representation too much, we should
improve that one, but not introduce another representation for the same function.
Cheers,
Thomas