ownCloud Client

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue May 29 11:42:46 UTC 2012

On Monday, May 28, 2012 18:58:11 Sascha Manns wrote:
> today i've tried out to install Mirall/OwnCloud Client in Plasma Active
> 'cause  i'm getting this Question from time to time.
> The Installation through openSUSEs isv:OwnCloud:community was successful,
> and  i have a new Icon on my PA Workspace. If i'm pressing it, it starts a
> Cloud- Icon into the Systembar and i must configure it through pressing
> that Icon. The Problem is, that this Icon isn't visible in PA.
> Has anyone tried out this?

Others have already pointed it out in some way. I had a look at ownCloud and
mirall two weeks ago, and found mainly two problems:

- UI, mirall places itself in the system tray, but doesn't even use the
  statusnotifier spec, but the old xembed way, so it doesn't work in Plasma
  Active, and rightfully so.
  Its UI is not touch-friendly, needs going over from a usability POV as well
- Power management: It seems mirall is standard built with polling the
  filesystem instead of using a notify API (such as INOTIFY, or FANOTIFY).
  Klaas (its main dev) said that one can build it with INOTIFY support (and I
  really don't get why this isn't the default), so the client currently polls,
  and does so like crazy, it runs over all files in synced folders about 3
  times a minute. Obviously a killer for battery life.

Those are certainly fixable, but it will take sitting down with owCloud /
mirall devs where they see mirall going. I could imagine it being a kded
module, or a service like nepomukserver (in case that's technically more
viable), with some kind of control interface. Putting an xembed icon into the
systray is sooooo 90s...

sebas