Maliit, Plasma Active and Mer

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun May 27 20:37:27 UTC 2012

On Sunday 27 May 2012 20:17:01 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > Even though the keys are currently way too small on the Mer x86 image on a
> > Wetab (partly because they are not dpi-aware yet, partly because the
>
> yes, size is the next thing we need to tackle in the integration ...

+1

> > However since many keys that are often needed in a terminal (like tab and
> > arrow keys) are rarely needed in usual mobile usecases, we shouldn't
> > clutter the normal layouts with them. What I think does make sense,
> > though, is having a third (or rather fifth) layout specific for terminal
> > use which includes all keys regularly needed there (letters, /, ., |,
> > <,>, ~, -, arrow keys and maybe a few more). If that's soo many keys, it
> > may contain only tab and arrow keys so the user can at least switch to it
> > when needed. Can we do that for PA or does it have to be implemented in
> > Maliit?
> we can do it in the PA integration for Maliit. and i agree that "geek
> characters" are necessary in our keyboard. / is needed for urls, so that
> should readily available .. the rest should be easily found. having a tab
> key on the main layout wouldn't be the worst idea, though, as it could also
> help encourage the use of tabbing between text fields on forms.

I don't remember where / currently is (and I can't check right now), so maybe
that one is already easily accessible. If it isn't, it should be moved to an
easily accessible key-set (I'd say main or shifted).
Having a tab key for forms in the main layout could be useful, yes. And arrow
keys are useful outside of the terminal sometimes as well, but it's okay if
they are on one of the alternate layouts.