Maliit, Plasma Active and Mer

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 27 18:17:01 UTC 2012

On Saturday, May 26, 2012 15:03:11 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> I finally had my first chance to see Maliit Active live in action (on Mer),
> and it generally I like it a lot!

huzzah!

> Even though the keys are currently way too small on the Mer x86 image on a
> Wetab (partly because they are not dpi-aware yet, partly because the

yes, size is the next thing we need to tackle in the integration ...

> However since many keys that are often needed in a terminal (like tab and
> arrow keys) are rarely needed in usual mobile usecases, we shouldn't clutter
> the normal layouts with them. What I think does make sense, though, is
> having a third (or rather fifth) layout specific for terminal use which
> includes all keys regularly needed there (letters, /, ., |, <,>, ~, -,
> arrow keys and maybe a few more). If that's soo many keys, it may contain
> only tab and arrow keys so the user can at least switch to it when needed.
> Can we do that for PA or does it have to be implemented in Maliit?

we can do it in the PA integration for Maliit. and i agree that "geek
characters" are necessary in our keyboard. / is needed for urls, so that
should readily available .. the rest should be easily found. having a tab key
on the main layout wouldn't be the worst idea, though, as it could also help
encourage the use of tabbing between text fields on forms.