Private activities

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Fri May 25 07:33:01 UTC 2012

Hi Marco, (aka, this is public, but mainly intended for Marco :) )

There is one thing I wanted to re-discuss with you.

If you recall, we had two options when linked resources to private
activities are concerned.

1. Make Nepomuk work well with them
2. Make models just load the list of files from the encrypted folder

1. meant:
- patch kdelibs/solid to support fuse
- patch nepomuk to keep a light index of fuse mounts (not committed yet)
- manual removal of the previously indexed data

and it has a lot of side-effects and issues.

2. is what I've chosen for the implementation of activities: KIO as an
experiment (since nobody will use private activities in plasma desktop
just yet)

2. would need:
- patch to kamd - for the following methods to treat private
activities specially
  bool org.kde.ActivityManager.IsResourceLinkedToActivity(QString uri,
QString activity)
  QStringList org.kde.ActivityManager.ResourcesLinkedToActivity(QString
activity)
- patch others in the same way, or to use the above methods.

-----

1 better than 2 for:
- kept semantics - activity<->file links are available in nepomuk as
other (activity<->something else) links are
- maybe more

2 better than 1 for:
- better security - nothing related to the files that are in the
encrypted storage is in nepomuk
- no ghost items - items that are in the encrypted folder but are
moved there manually, and thus are not considered linked
- maybe more

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard