Maliit, Plasma Active and Mer

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue May 22 11:11:12 UTC 2012

On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 00:09:49 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, May 21, 2012 19:26:08 Marco Martin wrote:
> > that qml version not yet, the framework supports it (used to do the
> > numeric
> > keypad on the N9)
> > the qml version of maliit still needs a lot of bindings to be feature
> > complete with the old c++ version on the n9 as i hear, so more features
> > will be eventually possible trough time
>
> yes, we'll have to push this forward as we iterate the PA product ...
> hopefully with a new user of the QML bindings, the maliit crew will help us
> out here.
>
> what's really great about this is that the framework has everything one
> could  want in the framework: screen positioning, layout selected based on
> app hint (e.g. "show only numeric keys"), internationalization (accented
> characters, different layouts you can swipe between, multibyte, etc.), word
> completion (though this requires integration with a system installed
> completion framework) ....

Agree, when I looked at Maliit and how it works with Qt Components, my
impression was very good, it's rather complete, and has the advantage that
much of the more complex bits we're currently missing in our PA keyboard are
already handled, think of input method hints, international characters, etc.

> so while we're losing some of "our" code, we get a full framework and we
> get  rid of some bugs.

Losing code is good, though. :)

> awesome work on this marco

while (true) +1