Maliit, Plasma Active and Mer

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon May 21 16:55:56 UTC 2012

On 21.05.2012 17:56, Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> first of all sorry for the big cross posting but is a topic that is important
> to all 3 lists.

(Since I think my comments are Plasma Active specific, I only replied to our list)

> Now that i had a bit of time to play with it, i got a plasma-themed qml
> keyboard that we can use and results so far can be seen here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZs-RPyF9zE

Nicely done! I especially like the gesture-based repositioning :)
The only thing that I liked better about the current keyboard is that it made
better use of the horizontal space available on e.g. the WeTab (which cannot
really be used otherwise since the keyboard covers the central part anyway).
This is another one of those cases where I think it's important to adapt the UI
to the screen size and pixel density.
I see two possible uses for the extra space on larger screens (in landscape
orientiation):
1. Offer more keys on on each set (what the current keyboard does)
2. Make the keys bigger and thus easier to hit (thus reducing the
fat-finger-problem a bit)

While having more keys available without switching is nice, the problem is that
after rotating the screen, the key layout would change, possibly irritating users.
Therefore I think it makes more sense to adapt the key size (as other mobile
on-screen keyboards do on rotation as well).

Another important thing: Will the Maliit-based keyboard support specialized
layouts for specific types of input fields (e.g. numeric)?

However the keyboard layout as such already now seems less confusing than the
current one.

Cheers,
Thomas