Maliit, Plasma Active and Mer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon May 21 15:56:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,
first of all sorry for the big cross posting but is a topic that is important
to all 3 lists.

As we discussed on irc a couple of times, in the Plasma Active project we
would like to use Maliit as system for the virtual keyboard.

Now that i had a bit of time to play with it, i got a plasma-themed qml
keyboard that we can use and results so far can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZs-RPyF9zE

As base system we use Mer, which at the moment has Maliit 0.8 packaged, and as
noted it had some bugs, besides the support for qml keyboards being still a
bit at early stages:
http://ppenz.blogspot.it/2012/04/plasma-active-and-maliit.html

So, i tried to package the current git revision here:
https://build.pub.meego.com/project/show?project=home%3Amart%3Abranches%3ACE%3AMW%3AShared

in order to correctly package the thing, and to have a fully functional qml
keyboard i had to put a few patches into maliit-framework, of which i would
like to upstream those who make sense and if there are some incorrect ones to
get them right and upstream.

* build out-of-tree: the maalit-glib folder didn't build if the build is done
outside the source directory, this patch fixes it.
Related issue: if the build is done inside the tree on obs it doesn't build on
arm (possible qemu issue?) when in the sdk folder make clean is called, it
fails on that architecture.

* resize the qgraphicsview at start: this patch looks quite strange but seems
to be necessary: if the qgraphicsview is not resized to the desktop size right
after it's created it will stay the wrong size (displaying only a piece of the
keyboard)

* keep scenerect focused: this patch fixes the problem that after some times
that the keyboard is opened and closed, the scenerect of the qgraphicsview
drifts a bit (didn't find the real reason) so the keyboard appears moved down
offscreen of 100 pixels or so

* remove the -as-needed linker option: with this option in the linker any
application that doesn't explicitly link to libmaliit won't be able to use it
(the plugin load fails with an unresolved symbol on libmaliit) that's why the
keyboard worked with the examples but not with plain qt applications

The actual keyboard seen in the video is derived from the nemo keyboard plugin
but quite modified, besides using plasma for the visual theme has some feature
that may be useful to port it back to the nemo keyboard as well, if someone is
interested (accents popup on long press, changing the pressed button when
moving the finger around the keyboard)

That's it for now, it's quite a lot of stuff, various items can be discussed
one by one ;)