Changes to Activity Configuration UI

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed May 2 09:30:33 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 02 May 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 02.05.2012 10:13, Fania Bremmer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Nice that we are moving forward with that dialog...
> >
> > +1 for the label inside the text field
>
> That was the plan. However, the problem with that is that it breaks the
> balance and looks bad this way (see
> http://wstaw.org/m/2012/04/30/plasma-desktopvQ4217.png). Therefore, Marco
> put the label back. If you have a good idea how we can remove the external
> label without braking the balance, Marco would surely be happy to try it
> out. :)
>
> > +1 for testing the lock/unlock slider with only icons (needs some testing
> > with users I guess, if they understand the message)
>
> I just did my usual "n=1 user test" and the participant (a usability expert
> colleague who has never seen Plasma Active before) immediately interpreted
> it correctly ("This means that it is secured, that I need a password to
> get in"). So even though she thought "secured" instead of "private", she
> associated the correct function with it. And maybe "secured" actually fits
> better than "private", because "private" may imply "hidden". However, the
> Activity is not hidden. Everyone can see that it's there. But it is
> "secured" because it's protected by a password.
>
> > Actually I guess with more free space between the different elements we
> > would gain a better grouping of relevant elements. So more space between
> > title bar and name text field, more space between text field and
> > wallpaper.
>
> Remember that the original intention behind modifying the dialog was to
> save vertical space on smaller tablets. The only option I see here is to
> have a fluid layout which adapts to the resolution (applying the vertical
> grouping only on larger resolutions).
> @Marco: Since the "Active Project"'s intention is to be deployable on
> anything from a smartphone to a big screen in the end, doing fluid layouts
> should be easy with the framework, right? ;)

can be added some explicit case that changes anchoring when the size goes
beyond a certain one, for things a lot different may be necessary to provide a
different package providing a different set of qml files, would like to keep
trying save vertical space for now

> > Have you thought about the error message dialog (same activity name)?
> > Where would it pop up/be displayed? Did we decide for a common pattern
> > for error messages in PA?
>
> The idea that came up on our last discussion thread for this was a "Message
> Bubble" that is connected to the name field. However, this was not
> implemented yet. Currently the message appears to the right of the
> lock/unlock switch (not a good position, actually)
> I think the bubbles are a good (and rather widespread) pattern for messages
> which relate to specific input fields, so I think we should try that out.

i can try for now one that is specific to that dialog, one that is a generic
component enough would be a bit more complex problem