activity configuration UI

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 08:17:15 UTC 2012

On Friday 30 March 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> the buttons in the title do work, indeed... i wonder if they make more
> sense on the same side of the dialog together, but that's something i can
> experiment with easily enough on my own, though if we do buttons up there
> we need to get some agreed on UI standard for it.

i think if there are two and on opposite sides looks more balanced and thumb
friendly

> with two buttons it is nice and ballanced; with more or less it probably
> doesn't matter so much.
>
> with buttons on both sides then we need ot decide which kinds of buttons go
> where, which is not always a completely clear thing ... though at least on
> the tablet the UI we tend not to have many buttons (thankfully)
>
> and then if we move to the "tap outside to close without saving" as per
> Sebas' suggestion we get down to one button anyways and that's all a moot
> point.

that is already done, this is another old topic do we need a close button in
every dialog because is discoverable or try not having them that is not
obvious, but becomes easy once trained

> i like how it _really_ frees up room for the content and now moving the
> "lock as private" item to the top starts to make even more sense.
>
> as for the error message when the name is already taken, i have been
> thinking about this in context of other areas we face the same problem.
>
> something that occured to me as a possibility is that we could have a
> "balloon" that contains the error and points at the field (in this case the
> name text edit) with the error. this would move the error outside the fixed
> layout. the downside is that such messages could occlude other content
> undesirably ... but looking at various places this would/could get used it
> doesn't seem to be a real problem. what do our UI people think?

would basically look like a tooltip?
in this case could be tap over to dimiss if cover something the user doesn't
want