activity configuration UI

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 22:22:26 UTC 2012

On Thursday, March 29, 2012 17:55:35 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > as soon as we can break master again i'll merge so people can test it
> > > (for both speed differences and difference in look)
> >
> > Could you please post a screenshot so we can "test" the look immediately?
> > Tank you :)
>
> unfortunately i can't test it on a device and being fullscreen on the devel
> machine has a size quite ridiculous ;)

the buttons in the title do work, indeed... i wonder if they make more sense
on the same side of the dialog together, but that's something i can experiment
with easily enough on my own, though if we do buttons up there we need to get
some agreed on UI standard for it.

with two buttons it is nice and ballanced; with more or less it probably
doesn't matter so much.

with buttons on both sides then we need ot decide which kinds of buttons go
where, which is not always a completely clear thing ... though at least on the
tablet the UI we tend not to have many buttons (thankfully)

and then if we move to the "tap outside to close without saving" as per Sebas'
suggestion we get down to one button anyways and that's all a moot point.

i like how it _really_ frees up room for the content and now moving the "lock
as private" item to the top starts to make even more sense.

as for the error message when the name is already taken, i have been thinking
about this in context of other areas we face the same problem.

something that occured to me as a possibility is that we could have a
"balloon" that contains the error and points at the field (in this case the
name text edit) with the error. this would move the error outside the fixed
layout. the downside is that such messages could occlude other content
undesirably ... but looking at various places this would/could get used it
doesn't seem to be a real problem. what do our UI people think?