activity configuration UI

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Mar 28 17:56:46 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 March 2012 17:54:46 Ivan Čukić wrote:

> Honestly, I don't see anything amusing there. If a designer asks for
> something, that turns out not to be technically feasible, the techies
> say 'no, not possible'.

I have to admit that, while not actually making me laugh, your statement
sounded a bit strange to me as well. The reason is that you didn't include
"that turns out not to be technically feasible" in your original statement.
You wrote "We definitely need some place where UX people like Fanya and Thomas
(and others) would write one sentence per issue and we would write why
it can not be like that.". Of course you meant that you (the developers) would
only write that in case it actually isn't feasible. But taken by itself, this
statement reads like "Whenever UX people write something, the developers
always say that (and why) it can not be like that.

> IF you say 'I want the password entry in the activity switcher', I say
> 'no, not possible. would diminish security ...', or 'ok, sounds good,
> lets do it'.
>
> As simple as that.

Sure. We just want our ideas to be seriously considered and the feasibility be
seriously evaluated before they are possibly rejected due to infeasibility,
that's all. I don't mean to imply that you are currently not doing that. It's
just that we can only accept what you say, without being able to verify if
there really is no way to do something. Therefore we're in kind of a weak
position.

> > decisions have been taken and what technical backgrounds led to this
> > decision. That would have saved us nearly the whole thread :)
>
> Totally agree :)

+1 It makes sense in general to post summaries of agreements that were reached
via "private" communication to the mailing list so that everyone who is on the
list is informed.

> > So please be kind to us aliens, also known as designers.
>
> I might have sounded unkind, and I do apologize if I did, it wasn't
> the point. Just wanted to be as short as possible :)

Okay, let me explain in a little more detail what I'm experiencing (sorry,
nothing short here ;) ):
Generally when designers and developers meet, the developer is in the stronger
position. A developer can create code without a UI design. Depending on the UX
skills of the developer, it may or may not be very usable or visually
pleasing, but it runs. As a designer, however, can't create anything working
on my own. I *need* a developer to implement my design.
If I have created an excellent design but can't find a developer willing to
implement it, I've lost.
In the business world, depending on the company structure, I may have the the
right to force a developer to implement a design, no matter what he thinks or
how he feels about it. In the F/OSS world, this is not possible. Here I have
to not only convince, but also motivate the developer to implement my design.
And sometimes, when something has very high priority for us from a UX
standpoint but it does not have high enough priority for any developer, it
just doesn't get done. This is just the way things are and no one can be
blamed for it, but nevertheless it can be frustrating at times.

The situation of tight cooperation between designers and developers in Plasma
Active as a community project is a very good thing and it is why I like the
project so much, but it's new to us and probably new to most or all of you as
well. Therefore it's a learning experience for all of us and sometimes it
doesn't hurt to remind each other that we're all in this together.

So, no offense, keep up the good work and let's all be friends :)

Cheers,
Thomas