activity configuration UI

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.com
Wed Mar 28 15:46:52 UTC 2012

Am 28.03.2012 17:27, schrieb Ivan Čukić:
>>> Okay okay, so no instant apply. But can we still open the password setting
>>> dialog directly after switching (without doing the actual encryption/moving
>>> of resources yet)? This would imo still be better than setting it after
>>> closing the main dialog (for various reasons stated earlier).
>> no, the two things are an atomic transaction, because is completely done by
>> another process, the plasma shell process doesn't have any kind of control
>> over it for security reasons (that's also the reason it's another separated
> Is it really necessary to have the same issues discussed this many times?
>
> We definitely need some place where UX people like Fanya and Thomas
> (and others) would write one sentence per issue and we would write why
> it can not be like that. Techbase?

Sorry, but that comment just made me laugh: "we would write why it can
not be like that"; that shouldnt be the focus in a multi-disciplinary
team, that designers propose something and the techies just say "no, not
working".
And to remember the start of the whole discussion is that there was a
request for a redesign of the current window because of smaller screensizes.
In my eyes we had already a good working solution, design-wise and
implementation-wise. Now there comes in a new requirement, the smaller
screensize, and we need to find another good solution. I agree that for
new UI Design ideas it would be good to have more insights of the
technical feasability. But thats what the ML is for, I thought.
And yes I agree for this specific topic, that some of us already had
those discussions before, and the results havent been spread in the ML.
I guess thats the missing point here. So we should improve that: why
specific design decisions have been taken and what technical backgrounds
led to this decision. That would have saved us nearly the whole thread :)
So please be kind to us aliens, also known as designers.