activity configuration UI

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Mar 28 14:00:30 UTC 2012

On 28.03.2012 15:46, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> instant apply is really not a possibility here for technical reasons. we can
> get rid of the Close button though by making an outside tap close and cancel
> the dialog.

Okay okay, so no instant apply. But can we still open the password setting
dialog directly after switching (without doing the actual encryption/moving of
resources yet)? This would imo still be better than setting it after closing the
main dialog (for various reasons stated earlier).

> note that "tap outside" for save borders on "voodoo magic" UI as there is no
> clear communication to the user that "yes, this really is happening". watching
> people use the UI, almost nobody attempts apply-by-outside-tap, and only one
> person so far has tried to use drag-to-apply in the add-to-activity screen
> (another topic for another thread though)

I never suggested "tap outside to apply", that would be stupid ;) If instant
apply is not possible we need a Save button, that much is for sure. And where
there is a save button, even a cancel button would make sense to accompany it
(the label still needs to be changed, as "close" does not necessarily imply
"cancel"). Either all or nothing, anything in between is more confusing than
helping.

>> Currently there is no way to change the password except for switching
>> private off and on again and it does not ask the password every time it is
>> saved.
>
> ok, so this could use some improvement. i do have some ideas there, but we can
> discuss this later.

Looking forward to reading them ;)