activity configuration UI

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Mar 28 12:43:55 UTC 2012

On 28.03.2012 14:30, Marco Martin wrote:

> again, this dialog performs 2 extrlemely expensive operations:
> * locking an activity, wich besides the long time needed to performs even
> involves moving files and unconnecting all of them from all other activities,
> so something that can't be fully backed at all (really no technical way to do
> it)

So what's so bad about performing the operation when the activity is switched to
private? This doesn't make it more expensive. Besides, the user still has to
enter a password before the switching is actually performed, so if he
accidentally switched, he can still cancel the operation at that point.

> * same dialog/workflow is for activity creation, so having no ok/cancel
> buttons means creating an activity as soon the + is pressed and then configure
> it, this is another expensive operation and quite long to back out as well
> (both creation or deletion on some hardware as vivaldi may take as long as a
> minute or so)

Announcement: Fania and me will soon present a new concept for Activity creation
which will be different from editing existing activities (and, as Fania wrote,
will use a wizard for Activity creation). Therefore, if our concept will be
implemented, this point won't be valid anymore.

> i still think the best way to still have buttons, have them always visible and
> taking less space is having them in the titlebar, like the ipad and the n9 do:
> http://www.silicon.com/i/s4/illo/photos/2010/June/iPad%20test/iPad%20VPN%20config%20screengrab.PNG

In general, when we need those buttons, I agree that moving them to the title
bar makes sense.

I see now this thread split into three with overlapping content, that's not
good. Hopefully we'll be able to merge the sub-threads again ;)