akademy talk?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Mar 14 13:09:35 UTC 2012

On 26.02.2012 18:25, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 February 2012, you wrote:
>>> Plasma Active will be a hot topic at Akademy. Having several
>>> presentations and presenters would be nice. Desktop Summit was
>>> speculative...a series of presentations showing "what if". These
>>
>> i would love more than one presentation as well.
>> for that however people need to step up ;)
>>

> sooo, any takers? ;)
> (deadlines looming)

I've just submitted a proposal for a talk by me about Plasma Active HIGs to the
program committee:

Title of the talk:
How the Plasma Active Human Interface Guidelines Can Make the Life of Developers
and Users Easier

One-paragraph description:
This talk presents the Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) for Plasma Active, the
user experience for (mostly) touch-based devices. These guidelines help
developers to create consistent user interfaces for Plasma active applications
while reducing the need for direct involvement of interaction designers into the
creation of every UI. Hereby they reduce the effort to create new UIs and allow
users to transfer knowledge to new applications more easily.

Abstract:
One of the efforts of the interaction design team of Plasma Active is the
development of Human Interface Guidelines for Active Apps. Human Interface
Guidelines serve mainly two important purposes: First, they support the creation
of consistent applications on a platform, thereby allowing users to easily
transfer knowledge gained about the interaction with one application to other
applications on the same platform and ensuring a harmonious look & feel across
applications. Second, they allow application developers to apply proven
interaction design principles without the need to ask an interaction designer
about every common aspect of their UI. Thus, interaction designers and usability
experts can focus on the uncommon, tricky parts of a specific application’s UI,
and some particularly standardized and straightforward applications may even be
created without the need to involve interaction designers.
The talk will give an introduction to the usage of the Plasma Active HIGs, give
an overview of the existing HIGs and an outlook on those HIGs that are planned.
After the presentation, developers have the chance to comment on existing HIGs
and suggest which additional HIGs they need the most.

Cheers,
Thomas