Activity data locations

Lamarque V. Souza Lamarque.Souza.ext at basyskom.com
Thu Mar 8 15:26:35 UTC 2012

Em Thursday 08 March 2012, Ivan Cukic escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> There's something I've been thinking about for some time now. (it is and
> isn't related to private activities - but the private activities were the
> reason I started thinking about it)
>
> It is about the ~/Activities directory.
>
> There are a couple of use-cases for applications to have different settings
> for different activities. This becomes even more important with the private
> activities in mind.

	I agree.

> Some possible examples - used plasma widgets, stuff written in the notes
> plasmoid, emails, contacts etc. (it would be awesome also if nepomuk could
> separate its database into different files, but ...)
>
> The idea is the following:
>
> Create activity directories in ~/Activities/.data as they are currently,
> but create subfolders as well:
> ~/Activities/.data/ACTIVITY_UUID/
>    .apps      // analogous to .kde/share/apps
>    .config  // analogous to .kde/share/config
>    .user         // for the user files - this gets linked to
>                                      ~/Activities/Activity_Name
>
> Thoughts?

	Some concerns:

	I think for applications that use KUniqueApplication they will always
use .apps and .config of the first launched instance.

	How would that work exactly? Do you plan to use something like "copy on
write" to prevent the user from configuring each application for each
activity? Even "copy on write" would not be ideal. Imagine you configured
kmail-touch in one activity with your personal e-mail, etc, then you want to
use it in another activity with your work e-mail, but also want to read the
personal e-mails. You would have to repeat all the configuration for the
personal e-mail and, worse, the e-mails would be duplicated since they are
stored in ~/.kde/share/apps (as far as I know). Other data from
.kde/share/apps may end up duplicated as well.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.basyskom.com/