Drawer HIG - please comment

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:06:47 UTC 2012

On Monday 28 May 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've finished the first draft of the HIG for Drawers within applications
> (the things that can be pulled in from the right in e.g. the Resource
> Browser or Okular Active).
> Have a look at it here:
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/Drawers
> Please comment, especially Marco on whether I described your ideas
> correctly and all on whether it's understandable and clear.
>
> @Marco: As soon as there are reusable components for the Drawers, please
> add the code for them to the Code section so that we won't have a hundred
> different implementations for it in the end.

Hi all,
i did some work on that:

there are two prototype components in my new scratch repo:
scratch/mart/drawercomponents

one is called Drawer, and behaves like Okular Active

the other one is called ContextPanel and works like the file browser

usability wise i have some questions that are maybe worth being discussed:
* is there any use case where it should morph on the fly from one type to
another? (it would become a single component with 2 modes, but code wise very
complicated)

* they are now limited to be at the right side of the screen and only one: it
would be possible to support for a panel on each side or having the side left
or right configurable. again, the code would be a bit more complex, so only if
is worth the effort ;)

* how should behave when screen rotation will be supported?
i was thinking about keeping them fixed to the right side, and when the screen
is vertical making the flaps aligned to the bottom center of the screen with
vertical slide instead: just a possibility, still not implemented