What do you folks think of the MS Surface announcement?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 12:08:21 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 19 June 2012, Chris Russell wrote:
> It's hard to imagine Microsoft's OEM partners being thrilled with the
> company's Surface tablet announcement yesterday. It seems like the move
> is likely to accelerate adoption of Android and may present opportunity
> for Plasma Active? What do you folks think?

no idea what will come out of it.
the device per se won't probably be much useful to us, because they announced
win8 arm devices would be deeply locked, so probably we won't be able to
install anything else on it.

on a more broader merit, it will be interesting to see some things:
* i personally like those combo tablet/keyboard devices, so far none is light
enough tough, further development in technology on that side may change that
* it may force other manifacturers to produce similar hardware (hopefully less
locked down) and that would be directly good for us
* it may make more clear to people that boundaries between device types are
blurring: personally i don't think win8 has the right approach because is more
"one size fits all" but it may open a window to propose different approaches