Merging the ivan/activity-encryption into master

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 21:23:17 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 25 January 2012, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to merge the encryption branch into master again later
> today. (the first time was the proof of concept if you recall)
>
> It is not yet finished (like any other piece of software :) ), but it
> has reached a second milestone - works without a glitch most of the
> time.

so +1 from here :)

> Some news since the last merge:
>  - intercepting termination signals (except the elusive SIGKILL) to be
> able to unmount encrypted folders on crash
>  - non-blocking process invocation
>  - ui plugins instead of using kdialog external command.
>    Currently, there are two plugins - one QWidget-based -
> KNewPasswordDialog and friends for the desktop plasma, and one
> QML-based that emulates the above classes as much as possible. (see
> here: http://imagebin.org/195465 and compare to
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdeui/html/knewpassworddialog.pn
> g )

very cool :)
how is the window done? (i would like to use the standard dialog component,
but is veery likely in this particular case letting qml itself to create a
window could be bad(tm)

>   The QML one is activated if the plasma components are set to
> something else than "desktop". It will need more work to be perfect.

what about putting the qml in a folder with the same name as the components
name, and then load KNewPasswordDialog if and only if qml files weren't found
at that location? this would even let having different uis on different
formfactors.. on the downside you would *have* to provide them (or "touch"
could be used as a first fallback before the desktop version) but i'm probably
overcomplicating this piece for now :p

>  - loads last used public activity on startup, or any public activity
> if the last one is not known. Or the last private if the former one
> doesn't exist. This means that most of the time, kamd will not be in
> limbo state (aka no current activity) - this will only happen on
> startup if all activities are private. So, plasma* still needs to be
> able to handle this case properly.
>

> Yet to do:
>  - move linked files to the encrypted folder
>  - some UI fixes
>  - api review

yeah, as soon as is merged and a first api is stable-ish i'll merge plasma-
mobile and workspace as well, then, we can try to implement this limbo state
in plasma*