Documenting how to write a device shell

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Wed Jan 25 12:28:24 UTC 2012

Em Wednesday 25 January 2012, Marco Martin escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to clean up a bit the code of the qml package that creates the
> tablet shell.
> I noticed that if we want for others to be able to easily write shells for
> handhelds, set-top-boxes or giant robots (hint: we can't do all of this by
> ourselves ;), a good how to documentation is needed.
>
> I started a page here (linked from the development section of the active
> wiki page):
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/DeviceShell
>
> please give feedback on what you would like to know if starting to diving
> into that ;)

	I thing I think should be there is difference between containments,
plugins and applets. For example, the home screen is a contaiment, in
~/.kde/share/plasma-device-appletsrc you can specify which plugins and applets
it must load during startup. By what I could understand a plugin is like a
applet (plasmoid) with the difference that it does not have borders, it is
directly drawn to the home screen's area. The applets are draw like plasmoids
on a desktop containment in Plasma Desktop: with a window decoration with
configure and close buttons on the top and a resize handler at the bottom
right corner.

	A list of current available plugins and applets would be helpfull too.
Another usefull information is how to discover each properties each plugin and
applet provides. We can assign values to the properties in
~/.kde/share/plasma-device-appletsrc but we need to look at the source code to
know which properties are available. And examples, that is very important too.

	What we really miss is an IDE to create new home screens, that would
make things a lot easier for newcomers. I know that is a hard task that is not
going to happen soon (or even this year). I am saying that just to register
the suggestion.

> by reviewing stuff, i'm also gathering bits of the device shell api that
> could be modified/simplified, in the end the final api/procedure will be
> there.
>

> also, perennial question of any given new wiki page: community or techbase?
> :p (this would be more on the technical documentation/howto side...)
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer