Task Proposal: eBook Reader

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 20 15:25:13 UTC 2012

> we should not be trying to figure out every possible awesome thing that
could
> be done, but defining what is needed to get us one iteration forward.
>
> in this case that means fitting a nice QML UI on okular.
> then we can look at shell integration issues.
> then we can look at the education (and other) usage patterns.
>
> iterate, iterate, iterate.

Okay okay, you won ;)
So I think for the first iteration we need a GUI that can:
- show a PDF or ebook in portrait or landscape mode, covering as much of
the screen as possible
- switch between portrait and landscape
- scroll and page flip
- maybe also a function to go to a particular page since flicking through
many pages one at a time would be tedious
- Pinch-to-zoom
- Open file (using our to-be-implemented filepicker)
- SLC (which is already implemented in the current Okular GUI)

So no actual new functionality needed, just new interaction.