Encryption stuff in need of solutions

ivan.cukic at gmail.com ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:35:31 UTC 2012

@fania
The password input can not be the part of activity switcher. Technical security issue. We need a separate window.

AS for the always present introduction activity, it is a bad solution that I thought we dismissed infavour of showing the activity manager, or the previous activity.

Cheerio,
IvanOn 20.1.12. 10.23 Fania Bremmer wrote:

> > This means that plasma-* will need a little bit more logic not to
>
> > listen only for which is the current activity, but also to listen for
>
> > the state of the current activity. If the state is not 'Started' then
>
> > it should not show the current activity. Though I have no idea what to
>
> > show (showing previous activity is not a complete solution - the user
>
> > might want to boot into a private activity - and there is no previous
>
> > one then.
>
> Well, best effort: if it is a private activity show a dialog with Ok
> and dismiss buttons. If the password is wrong, ask again and again
> until it is right or the user clicks on dismiss. The dismiss operation
> tries to find a non-private activity, if none is found then present a
> new dialog with "Create new activity" and shutdown buttons :-)

Mhh, maybe I didnt understand the problem fully, but I guess we dont
need dismiss buttons.
The user works in a non-private activity. He opens the switcher and taps
a private activity. The pw-dialog appears, as described in my concept.
- The user enter the right pw ->activity launches.
- The user enters the wrong pw -> the error message appears; the user
can try to enter again pw's...
- If the user doesnt want to enter the pw, he just taps another
activity, that launches then
- If the user doesnt do anything for a longer time, the switcher slides
out anyway and the open pw dialog closes

Of course this requires at least one non-private activity. But we
discussed that already, that we might put the introduction activity as
non-deletable and non-private.

> > If the user doesn't know the password, it should be possible to go to
>
> > a public activity. But that raises more problems - if kamd asks for
>
> > the password, would it mean that kamd should have ui for the activity
>
> > switcher as well... security is a messy thing.

I was recently thinking about the user forgetting the right pw - that
would litterally block that activity locked forever. But ok, thats maybe
bad luck then :)