Private Activities rpm packages

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Wed Jan 18 11:20:15 UTC 2012

	Hi all,

	I am integrating private activities in basysKom's MeeGo image, this is a
summary of what I have done so far. I created some dependencies packages for
encfs in Project:KDE:Security in obs:

encfs: this is a direct private activities dependency.

fuse: dependency for encfs

rlog: dependency for encfs

sysvinit: this is almost the same package used in MeeGo image, I just removed
/bin/mount-point from the sysvinit-tools subpackage so that it does not
conflict with the package below.

util-linux: fuse passes parameters '--no-canonicalize' and sometimes '--fake',
which requires util-linux >= 2.18 (MeeGo uses util-linux-ng 2.16). I needed to
upgrade util-linux-ng to utilinux-2.20 to make those parameters available. The
parameters are there for security reasons according to fuse changelog.

	Javier, Maurice, as discussed in the last telco you can start
integrating those packages in the next devel image. Just one notice: fuse
kernel module should be loaded before using encfs and I have not found how to
autoload kernel modules in MeeGo. What I did in my test image is add the line
below to /etc/rc.local:

modprobe fuse

	If there is no other way to autoload kernel modules I can add a post-
install script to the fuse package to add the line to rc.local.

	We also need to update libkactivities package to use the code from
branch ivan/activity-encryption (kactivities repository), which Marco created
a couple of days ago. I pushed some fixes to that branch yesterday. Anyone can
take care of this?

	I have been changing the activity configuration dialog to add a switch
to mark one activity as private like in the mock-ups Fania sent to the list
last Monday. It should be ready by the evening (Brazil's time :-)).

	There are some problems I postponed for now:

. when marking the activity as public (not encrypted) the encfs xml
configuration file is not removed. I think we should remove it if it is not
needed anymore.

. when typing a wrong password kamd shows error message but still switch to
the activity. It should abort the switching. By what I saw I think kamd is
doing the switch and only afterwards it asks for the password. I think it
should do the opposite.

. sometimes the kdialog gets behind other windows. For example, when booting
sometimes it gets behind the ksplash, sometimes it is behind plasma-device's
home screen. In this last case we can use the task switcher to make it to the
front, still it is important to make it kdialog really modal.

. there is a Ok and Cancel buttons in the kdialog used to ask for password.
When we click/tap on the Cancel button or when the password is wrong kamd
should not try to open the private activity and try to open a public one, like
we have been discussing in the other thread. For now it opens the private one
even if the encryped data remains inaccessible.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer