UI security topic: UI for private activities

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Jan 17 17:02:29 UTC 2012

> That kind of user do not take security seriously enough to even create a
> private activity. Locking the screen, and consequently closing all private

I am serious about security, but I sometimes forget to press the lock
button on my keyboard when I leave my computer.

The user is most of the time the weakest link in a security hierarchy,
I don't want to make him more responsible than he needs to be.

> you leave the device on the table for a certain amount of time. If you
> prefer you can add a shorter than the lock screen timeout for the private
> activities.

How would that work, you start reading a book, and all of a sudden
everything closes with no explanation? I'd even put some delay after
the screen locks due to inactivity to lock the activity - 15 seconds
or something. (like it is possible to be done for the most desktops)

> Because nothing garantees the user that opened the activity is the same that is now
> changing the configuration. For example, the device owner opens a private activity, in that
> situation the activity configuration dialog is accessible.

+1 Totally agree. It would be like password changing on a website
without requesting the old password.

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard