UI security topic: UI for private activities

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Jan 17 11:57:57 UTC 2012

> - Mark Activity as private: toggle Button in "Create new activity" and

After the first time the user wants to turn the switch on, we need a
comprehensive introduction/disclaimer/limitations text to show.

> - Open Private Activity in switcher: after tap a pw dialog appears (similar

The issue here is that this way, plasma needs to ask for the password
and transfer it via d-bus to kamd... which security-wise is a bad
idea. UI and implementation-wise, it is awesome.

> 1- after changing activity: last private activity encrypts again, requires
> again pw if switched back

Already done.

> 2- after shut down: all private activities encrypt again, pw needed for
> every private activity

Naturally, already done.

> 3a- after manual or automatical screen lock while private activity is
> running: pw dialog in lockscreen is required to open the current private

I would be for this idea if there wasn't the keyboard-over-lockscreen issue.

Alternatively, the first level could be the current lock screen. After unlock,
it could show the:
- password for unlocking
- activity browser for the user to choose another activity instead of
the locked one

> 3c- Another option would be that the uncrypted fallback is always the
> introduction activity, which can therefore be never private and can never be

The introduction activity... I don't like it. But to have some /empty/
activity - limbo state, could be useful.

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard