Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jan 3 20:54:33 UTC 2012

On Sunday 01 January 2012 21:18:44 Marco Martin wrote:

> good job :)

Thx :)

> from a quick read seems so far so good, just a couple of things that quickly
> come to my mind:
>
> "Restart [Application name] for the changes to take effect"
> this should be possible to avoid almost always since applications should be
> able to notice, dunno if we can try to forbid it at first and see if there
> really will be something that can't live without ;)

Well, if a developer says it's possible, then I'm all for it and will happily
remove that paragraph :)

> To select one of many options, use a [selection widget]
> in the standard components there is a "SelectionDialog" pretty pedestrian
> and does what it says, so that one should be adviced when options are too
> many for radio buttons

I have now defined the widget here:
http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/Widgets/SelectionDialog
It describes a combination of the two selection dialogs that are present in
the Date and Time settings module.
If that description is okay with you guys, please adjust the component
accordingly and put the code needed for implementing the component in the
section "Code to Implement the Widget".

> "number wheel"
> that will have to be well defined and possibly a standard component be made
> for ite (maybe derived from the time and date thing)

I will do that in the coming days.

Best,
Thomas