Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 20:18:44 UTC 2012

On Saturday 31 December 2011, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi all,
> as promised I have put the first draft of the HIG for Settings dialogs in
> the wiki at
> http://community.kde.org/Plasma/Active/Development/ActiveHIG/Settings This
> is clearly RFC. Please comment away, especially regarding
> - Things that you think could cause usability problems
> - Things that are not technically feasible
> - Things that might cause other problems in the long run
> - Questions still left unanswered by these guidelines
> - Things that are difficult to understand and/or ambiguous

good job :)

from a quick read seems so far so good, just a couple of things that quickly
come to my mind:

"Restart [Application name] for the changes to take effect"
this should be possible to avoid almost always since applications should be
able to notice, dunno if we can try to forbid it at first and see if there
really will be something that can't live without ;)

To select one of many options, use a [selection widget]
in the standard components there is a "SelectionDialog" pretty pedestrian and
does what it says, so that one should be adviced when options are too many for
radio buttons

"number wheel"
that will have to be well defined and possibly a standard component be made
for ite (maybe derived from the time and date thing)