Task proposal: Integration of Cloud computing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Feb 9 23:43:00 UTC 2012

On Thursday, February 9, 2012 20:30:57 Marie Hrdinová wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm starting to work on a Master's thesis in which I would like to
> integrate cloud storage into Plasma Active. My supervisor Jaroslav
> Řezník had already spoken with Sebastian. I've written a proposal
> similar to the others here and I hope I'll receive some ideas,
> suggestions or wishes.
>
> User Story
> =======
> John has tablet at home and wants an option to have a space for files
> outside of the tablet and have easy access to them. He will therefore
> use the possibility to upload his files to the cloud storage. At the
> same time this serves as a data backup. In addition, he can save
> KConfig in this way.

just to clarify a bit, and ensure i understand the goals properly ... the user
story is two-fold:

a) to have access to files stored off-device

b) to save and restore configuration data

the latter seems straightforward. the former is a little undefined: where does
the upload happen from (laptop, tablet, ..?) and how will the files be seen on
the tablet (will the user manually select a file for download onto the tablet,
or will it be downloaded transparently when accessed if it hasn't yet been
synced or some combination?)

> Proposed implementation
> ================
> Make an application that will be able to connect with a cloud storage.
> It will integrate KConfig, be able to access the cloud storage, allow
> browsing, downloading and uploading files. It will also support the
> KConfig backup/restore option.
> The application will feature a graphical user interface.

the idea is great and very much needed.

implementation proposal needs a bit more work though. it's essentially a re-
statement of the deliverable rather than a "how it will be implemented" :)

perhaps (and understandably) you haven't gotten that far in planning?

in any case, i give this a +1 for a project start. do you have a timeline in
mind for the project? (i assume you do as its part of your studies..)