When should I file bugs?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Feb 1 13:32:29 UTC 2012

Hey,

On Wednesday, February 01, 2012 14:26:15 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> when I switched to the Devel image again today and saw things like the file
> browser and encrypted Activities which are obviously in a very early stage
> of development, I asked myself "At which point in the development of a
> feature should I start filing bugs if things don't work the way they are
> supposed to?" Of course the reason why you developers merge things with the
> main branch is to give them more exposure, but I also don't want to annoy
> anyone with filing things that look to me like a bug but are actually just
> not finished yet. Is the rule of thumb "If something's strange, file a bug
> anyway to keep track of it" or does it only make sense to file bugs if the
> creator of a feature has declared it "ready for testing"?
> I want to help as well as I can, so advice here is appreciated.

The short, but unsatisfying answer is "that depends on the feature". Best is
to quickly check with the developer if it makes sense to file bugs at some
point. Of course, the closer to a release we get, the more likely it is
helpful, but at this point, just ask (on IRC for example) if it makes sense.
We don't put in new components too often, so that should work OK.

sebas