Plasma Active on Kubuntu

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 08:21:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 31, 2012 18:25:59 Florian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?M=E4der?= wrote:
>> is there a way to install Plasma Active as an alternative desktop
>> environment that can be selected from KDM?
>
> should be possible; will require a session .desktop file for kdm, but that's
> just one simple file (can copy one of the existing ones for plasma desktop or
> netbook and alter the exec line, for instance..). then you'll need the plasma
> active startkde script. from there, it's just a matter of building the plasma-
> mobile repository.
>
> i think it would be pretty neat to see a set of plasma-active packages for,
> e.g., opensuse that could be installed alongside desktop and netbook in this
> fashion.
>
> we're more focused on full OS images due to the specific goals we have (and our
> resource limits), but that doesn't mean someone else couldn't do the bits of
> work needed to make it happen :)

I am already working towards that on openSUSE.

There are two issues with this right now:

1. I need to get the Qt-mobility-related dependencies integrated
first, which is a bit troublesome since several don't seem to have
releases, instead just pulling from git.  It would be helpful to know
which versions are required and if there is are particular revisions
or branches that are needed.

2. The existing KDE packages, like bangarang and kde-workspace, are
also git pulls.  It would be much easier to integrate if these were
patches against the official tarballs.

-Todd