[kde-workspace] kwin/data/desktop: Move kwin/data to kwin/data/desktop so that I can add kwin/data/active.

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 24 18:49:52 UTC 2012

Am 24.04.2012 20:13, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2012 18:11:45 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> No, that was not a need for an urgent fix. AFAIU this was for a
>> testing
>> image for software under development. The new window switcher layout
>> for PA
>> is only integrated in current KWin master, which has not yet entered
>> the
>> testing phase. KWin itself does not yet support any configuration
>> update
>> from 4.8 to current master (see Bug 296775 [1]). The plan is to have
>> one
>> upgrade script to handle all changes in configuration - which could
>> have
>> included PA as well.
>
> Nope, unfortunately it was not a testing image. The changes were
> recently
> merged to the repository which the *stable* Plasma Active 2 image
> provided by
> basyskom uses The merge announced in [1] has happened by now and
> contains the
> KWin version which requires the new switcher layout. I installed the
> stable
> image, updated and experienced the bug. So any user who installed the
> stable
> PA2 Meego image on a device and did zypper ref && zypper up would
> have the
> same problem.
> Maybe the process of merging devel code into the stable repositories
> is
> problematic, but that's the way it's currently done.
Changing that in master won't fix anything as to my knowledge PA does
not depend on kde-workspace master. KWin as of 4.8 is *not* ready for
usage with the new active switcher. It requires additional patches, so
the only possible solution to the problem mentioned here is having more
patches.

I don't know exactly what's the state of kde-workspace before and after
the change, but if before state was based on the December version of 4.8
and after would have been recent KWin the issue would not have appeared
at all as there was a bug in KWin's update script from 4.7 to 4.8.

>> I understand that you had been concerned about the situation - and
>> rightly
>> you are: broken updates are an unpleasant experience. I am also not
>> questioning the need for the change, but the workflow of how the
>> change got
>> introduced. And I see here potential to improve the situation which
>> will go
>> to the active mailinglist in a dedicated mail.
>
> I don't oppose your opinion regarding the workflow. It was
> unfortunate. I just
> wanted to clarify why Lamarque did the fix in a bit of a hurry. This
> was "a
> series of unfortunate events", and I think we can and have learned
> from it.
Yes I think that is quite import to learn from the experience of such
transitions.

Cheers
Martin