Updating Project:KDE:Trunk project on build.pub.meego.com

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Apr 17 09:38:32 UTC 2012

On 17.04.2012 10:29, Maurice de la Ferte wrote:
> Great thanks for testing this scenario and congratulations to find this update
> issue. It would be very nice if you could also file a bug for this.

Thanks for not taking my little rant personally :) Sorry if my mail sounded harsh.
Yes, filing a bug would have been better. I will do that now and next time I
will do it before or directly after posting anything to the mailing list.

>>           We need more people testing the upgrade process and reporting bugs.
>
> I'm not happy about this situation too and this might be just the peak of an iceberg,
> but this is the why we need people testing different kind of scenarios. I would
> really like to see a kind of public test checklist and more people who get involved
> into testing. Thanks for your feedback!

Agreed. We definitely need to do upgrade tests every time we plan to merge
anything into the stable repository. Ideally we would test a scenario of a user
who updates regularly (i.e. has the previous updates installed) as well as one
of a user who has just downloaded the latest stable image and then upgrades.

And checklists would definitely help. Structured testing will become more and
more important as soon as actual paying customers use their PA devices and
expect them to "just work". Yes, the first Vivaldi buyers are probably mostly
tech-savvy "friendly users", but even they probably have higher quality
expectations towards a tablet than towards a desktop.

If I receive advance notice (a few days should suffice) of a planned update of
the repository, I'm willing to do an upgrade test from the stable image, if it's
possible to do it using a live image instead of installing. I only have one
device and I use it for testing the development status as well as for daily
tasks, so I can't afford to completely reinstall regularly. But unless a reboot
is required, updating on the live image and then just restarting X or
plasma-device should work just fine.

Cheers,
Thomas