[RFC] Different binary name for KWin on Active

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Apr 13 15:41:40 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 April 2012 17:29:03 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 13 April 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi active,
> >
> > based on some feedback from Kubuntu's attempts to package PA, I created
> > the
> > possibility to create a version of KWin which uses a different binary
> > name.
> >
> > This can be found in review request
> > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104299/
> >
> > Kubuntu has backported the patch to 4.8 and is using it in their next
> > release to have KWin for desktop and KWin for PA not conflicting and I
> > think it makes much sense to not destroy the users' system when they want
> > to give PA a try.
> >
> > A small change to PA is also required which can be found in
> > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104590/
> >
> > I would like to get a ship-it from a PA developer or a good discussion
> > about it :-)
>
> for me is ok. (i'm just noting the thing was -not- intended  to be used
> alongside a normal system)
yes I know that it was not intended to be used alongside a normal system and
much inside KWin also follows that assumption.

On the other hand it was naive to assume that distros would not package it and
users would not want to try it.

> it's most a matter of  keeping packages working, so for existing packages
> (meego, mer) it would be matter to:
> * updating kde-workspace (was kept more or less frozen atm)
> * update startactive packages
> * update the default configuration packages (kwinrc should become
> kwinactiverc i guess)
>
> for me is ok but i just want to have this with the least disruption possible
yes I agree and I really want to have all patches to go in at the same time or
when it makes most sense. E.g. kwin could go into master right now and the
other things are done when PA uses KWin from 4.9. In that case we just need to
remember that we have to do that adjustment (create a bug for it)

Cheers
Martin