[RFC] Different binary name for KWin on Active

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 15:29:03 UTC 2012

On Friday 13 April 2012, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Hi active,
>
> based on some feedback from Kubuntu's attempts to package PA, I created the
> possibility to create a version of KWin which uses a different binary name.
>
> This can be found in review request
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104299/
>
> Kubuntu has backported the patch to 4.8 and is using it in their next
> release to have KWin for desktop and KWin for PA not conflicting and I
> think it makes much sense to not destroy the users' system when they want
> to give PA a try.
>
> A small change to PA is also required which can be found in
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104590/
>
> I would like to get a ship-it from a PA developer or a good discussion
> about it :-)

for me is ok. (i'm just noting the thing was -not- intended  to be used
alongside a normal system)

it's most a matter of  keeping packages working, so for existing packages
(meego, mer) it would be matter to:
* updating kde-workspace (was kept more or less frozen atm)
* update startactive packages
* update the default configuration packages (kwinrc should become kwinactiverc
i guess)

for me is ok but i just want to have this with the least disruption possible