Copy and Paste between Apps

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Sep 25 11:23:04 UTC 2011

On Saturday 24 September 2011 21:38:54 Sascha Manns wrote:
> Hello Mates,
>
> just a Question. I have opened my KeepassX Passwordfile and want to copy a
> Password and fill it in another App.
> Marking the Password isn't a Problem. But how can i copy and past this?
>
> Have a nice weekend @all

That's a good question, we need to find a consistent method for this. The two
most obious solutions in my opinion are:
- Using a context menu on any markable text
- Clicking an icon in the bar to copy or paste
I'm not exactly sure which one is better and they're certainly both not
exaxctly great.
Copy & paste is generally not easy on touch-driven devices since neither
keyboard nor extra mousebuttons are available for this.
It's no accident that Apple just did not include the function at all in the
first iOS release and only reluctantly implemented it due to protesting users
later.
But the apple case also shows that this is extremely important to have (it
takes a really strong pain for an Apple fan to disagree with Steve Jobs'
design decisions ;) )
I must admit that I don't know how either Apple or Google have solved this for
their mobile OSes, but I'd it is okay to get some "inspiration" from them
unless we find a solution that's better than both.

Regards,
Thomas