remove or keep the activity view in the window list

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 23 12:34:25 UTC 2011

On Friday, September 23, 2011 14:17:54 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > I'd also vote for keeping the homescreen in the window strip (or what
> > > was
> > > the official word for it? We definitely need to get our glossary written
> > > down soon!), for the reasons Marco mentioned: The homescreen should not
> >
> > +1 ;) probably something like peek or task peek since the whole panel
> > would
> > be peek and launch
>
> I think Aaron already had ideas about the names, we just all (including
> himself) kept confusing them during the sprint ;)

i had personally settled on "home screen". it's what it is often called on
other devices, it's where you start off at, etc. however, Fania was not happy
with that name, so i'm in a bit of a limbo over it :)

Fania used the term "activity view" which is good for me. we do need to get
consensus on this VERY soon, however.

> > > Another thing: I'd really like to see the ability to switch back to the
> > > last window shown when pressing the homescreen-button to the right of
> > > the
> > > bar again after switching to the homescreen. Being able to switch back
> > > and forth between homescreen and application easily would be pretty
> > > nice imo.
> >
> > would let a really fast workflow yeah :)
> > (wouldn't there be problems with a button that changes its function btw?)
>
> Maybe we'd need to change the icon to indicate that, but I'm not sure.
> Compare it to alt-tab. It switches both ways between to windows as well.

i don't want to work on this anymore for Plasma Active One, since the best
idea i can think of requires a lot more work. what would be nice is for it to
become a software version of the "Back" button seen on many phones these days.

iow, it would send a message to the current app, if any, to go "back" one
step; if the app does not have anything to "back" to (or doesn't support this)
then it would return you to the home screen.

one of the current limitations of the "back" on current devices is you never
REALLY know what it will return you to and it is easy to pile up a HUUUUGE
list of things in the "back" that are no longer relevant to you.

for now, i'd like to just leave it as-is and consider working on this as a
bigger project sometime in the future.

an easier change would be to let the button change its icon depending on where
you are:

* when in an application, it shows the contour logo and brings you to the
activity view

* when viewing the activity, it shows the old "grid" icon and when tapped
shows the peek and launch

i'm a little concerned about a button that changes its UI like that, but it's
plausible and the kind of change that could be made quite easily. i'd defer to
Fania before attempting it, though. Fania: what do you think?

humru othro a kohnu se