VideoPlayer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 15:17:53 UTC 2011

On Friday 16 September 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> bangarang, for instance, would be much nicer to look at and use even on the
> desktop without it's desktop-legacy-driven multiple-stacked-lists.
>
> for some apps, yes, you need something radically different. kontact springs
> to mind for me here.
>
> but for other things like a media player? i don't buy it :) instead, i
> suggest we need to rethink our UIs, but not in terms of "this is the touch
> UI and this is the desktop UI" but rather "this is the one UI that works
> in many situations".

I partly agree on this, let's see if i can explain better (gah, ended up in an
overly long mail;):

some applications, like kontact you mentioned (or koffice, or other very
feature dense, content creation oriented application) are inherently very
complex and in that case having 100% the feature set on a touch ui is probably
not even desiderable, moreover some particular widgets, like tree views are
actually well suited for them, and go well in a complex workflow, so while
even the desktop version could perhaps get some clues from a more friendly ui,
they will stay probably significantly different for the foresable future.

other kind of applications have a dramatically simpler workflow, bangarang for
instance all the ui it has when is not a fullscreen video player, is a media
files browser, now there are many well known well tested patterns to make
browsers of stuff as simple as possible, and the desktop version would gain
for sure from a simplification as well.

here we have still probably a bit of different requirements between a version
that would run on a desktop and one on a touch device.

for instance playlist items would have to be draggable on a desktop, while the
whole list surface should be flickable on a touch device, as well as
scrollbars vs scroll indicators, or click targets size.

those could be very minor behavioural/estetic differences, and since bangarang
ui is 99% constituted by flat listviews, having them written in qml would
probably be perfectly ok for the desktop as well, even before the official
blessed desktop qml components are ready, since it uses custom painted
delegates anyways.

what would change would be just 2-3 qml files over a 10 or so that could stay
the same...

dreaming even more, would be cool this would happen at runtime as well, i
tried the windows 8 preview, and even if they fallen in the trap of making
overly toy uis (the metro thing) that i doubt will be adapt for really heavy
duty apps ever, one thing that really impressed me was how well the transition
between touch and mouse was handled: flick around a list with the finger, it
work as any touch ui we're used does, start to move a mouse and the scroll
indicator changes immediately in a classic scroll bar, interacting with the
mouse doesn't flick the view but interacts with the elements (not doable in
qml yet, since in Flickable the interaction is completely done with
mouseevents, not touchevents)

another thing that should be considered, is that those "simple" applications
are those that would make sense on an handheld device as well, and in that
case having different uis will be necessary, no matter what, in this case the
need for a base more adapt to scale, ie a set of qml files of which can be
changed 5%, 10% or 100% would be really needed