VideoPlayer

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 16 14:13:04 UTC 2011

On Friday, September 16, 2011 13:54:21 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>  Yes. A desktop UI with bigger controls is not a touch UI. If you want
>  to make a touch UI for your application, you have to re-think it
>  completely.

while i agree when it comes to the bangarang UI as it currently is ... i think
the dichotomy between "desktop UI" and "touch UI" is not nearly as clear as
some make it out to be. the fact is that many desktop UIs have been designed
with the idea of multiple simultaneous views and trees/lists of items that
only work well with mouse/keyboard.

and those same desktop UIs, while usable in a strict sense on the desktop, are
also often subpar experiences.

just as how there's a lot to be learned from experiments done in the wild over
the last decade in web interfaces, there's a lot to be learned from touch.

bangarang, for instance, would be much nicer to look at and use even on the
desktop without it's desktop-legacy-driven multiple-stacked-lists.

for some apps, yes, you need something radically different. kontact springs to
mind for me here.

but for other things like a media player? i don't buy it :) instead, i suggest
we need to rethink our UIs, but not in terms of "this is the touch UI and this
is the desktop UI" but rather "this is the one UI that works in many
situations".

i feel i'm slowly developing a mostly-intuitive feel for where an application
falls in the "needs a separate UI for tablet and desktop" or "needs a better
UI that works most everywhere", and i'd like to work towards a more defined
definition for that divide.

e.g. why does kontact need a different UI on desktop than tablet, while
bangarang probably shouldn't?

humru othro a kohnu se