Adding widgets to panel?

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Tue Sep 13 10:16:20 UTC 2011

Am 13.09.2011 11:10, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Saturday, September 10, 2011 01:32:17 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> For example a user wants to
>> constantly monitor some aspect(s) of the system. She could of course add a
>> monitor plasmoid to every activity she uses
> or switch to the activity with it on it. if i am, indeed, constantly
> monitoring something (not just checking it every so often visually) then i am
> probably going to be in the relevant activity.
>
> if i just want to check from time to time, having it on another activity isn't
> a big problem.
>
> alternatively, the widget strip app could be used.
>
> however, i'm not sure that we should try to prioritize the task of "constantly
> monitoring a specific data set regardless of what else is being used". it's
> certainly a valid use case for certain specific scenarios but, ignoring
> contrived ones, it's not going to be a signifcant usage pattern imo and does
> not fit with the idea of creating a device which supports one's "path through
> life" using activities.
>
> we can/should monitor future usage of these devices to see how people end up
> using them over time, of course, and adjust our positions in accordance if
> needed.

Well, I sometimes also get the feeling that something globally is
needed, for information and data that is used every day constantly, like
a mailprogramm for example.
But i guess that this is just the pattern that we learned over the last
time, that there is a desktop that always looks the same. And yes, in
Plasma Active the dynamic change
of activities that suits your daily life is the new and radical idea here.

So i agree to Aaron that we should monitor and test the usage and see,
whether the users are struggeling with that fact and try to create
constant activities, that are used all the time...