Adding widgets to panel?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 09:10:20 UTC 2011

On Saturday, September 10, 2011 01:32:17 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> For example a user wants to
> constantly monitor some aspect(s) of the system. She could of course add a
> monitor plasmoid to every activity she uses

or switch to the activity with it on it. if i am, indeed, constantly
monitoring something (not just checking it every so often visually) then i am
probably going to be in the relevant activity.

if i just want to check from time to time, having it on another activity isn't
a big problem.

alternatively, the widget strip app could be used.

however, i'm not sure that we should try to prioritize the task of "constantly
monitoring a specific data set regardless of what else is being used". it's
certainly a valid use case for certain specific scenarios but, ignoring
contrived ones, it's not going to be a signifcant usage pattern imo and does
not fit with the idea of creating a device which supports one's "path through
life" using activities.

we can/should monitor future usage of these devices to see how people end up
using them over time, of course, and adjust our positions in accordance if
needed.

> > What do you think?

we can't do everything :)

adding configuration to the panel leads to a lot of complexity. we know this
from the desktop, where that complexity is warranted for a number of reasons
(historical and actual). for the tablet UI, i really don't think the panel is
somewhere we should allow complexity to creep into.

it is already used to show status information and as a handle for both peek
and launch. that, to me, is already plenty.

humru othro a kohnu se